Summer Workshops & Evening Concert
Weekend 12 to 14 July 2019
This year’s Summer Workshops on Saturday & Sunday 13 & 14 July will be led by the highly talented and immensely popular Bluegrass Band The Often Herd , winners of the 2018 European Band contest at the La Rochel Bluegrass Festival , plus Bertie Armstrong of Holly & The Reivers
The Often Herd will also perform in Concert on the Saturday evening.
On the Friday evening there will be informal bluegrass & old-time music sessions in village.
The Tutors for the musical instrument workshops are:
- Rupert Hughes – Guitar
- Evan Davies – Mandolin
- Niles Krieger – Fiddle
- Sam Quintana – Double Bass
- Bertie Armstrong – Banjo
Programme For Weekend
- Informal bluegrass and old-time music sessions in village.
Saturday Morning & Afternoon
- 10:30am to 11am Welcome & Introductions at Glencairn Memorial Institute
- 11am to 1pm Workshops focussing on instrument technique and learning new songs/tunes.
- 2:00pm to 4:00pm Workshops focussing on instrument technique and learning new songs/tunes (continued)
- 4pm-5pm Tutor-led slow jam highlighting what has been learnt so far.
- 8pm The Often Herd in concert.
- 11am-1pm Workshops on harmony singing and how to create the distinctive bluegrass and old-time sounds.
- 2pm-4pm Workshops on harmony singing and how to create the distinctive bluegrass and old-time sounds (continued).
- Sunday workshops will include the opportunity to form experimental scratch bands and put the weekend’s learning into practice, under the supportive and watchful eye of the tutors and using a ‘single mic’ set-up.
Ticket Information & Workshop Registration
For 2019, Workshop Registration has been introduced, to permit the workshop tutors to tailor the Workshops to best suit the needs of their students.
The following tickets are available:
- Concert Only Tickets £10
- Workshop & Concert Tickets (Workshop Registration required after ticket purchase):
- Standard £50
- Concessionary £35
- Available to those who are on benefits, aged 16 or 17, aged over 65, or are Glencairn & Moniaive Parish residents
- After purchasing ticket Register For Workshop>
- BBMA Sponsorship For Workshops
- Workshop & Concert Under 16 Tickets
- Free of charge
- Must be accompanied by a responsible adult (who will also be free at the workshop, provided they have not brought their own musical instrument in order to take part in the Workshop)
- The accompanying adult is required to purchase a Concert Only ticket if the Under 16 is attending the Evening Concert
- As tickets are free for Under 16s, they are not being sold, but Under 16 Registration> for the event is required
Online Ticket Purchase
Purchase tickets online below (by selecting the appropriate options), using a debit/credit card or by PayPal (no booking fees apply).
Please remember to Register For Workshop> after purchasing Workshop tickets.
Confirmation of Ticket Purchase
A confirmation email will be sent by PayPal when tickets are purchased online, a copy of which should be brought to the event.
Check your junk/spam folder if you haven’t received a confirmation email within 24 hours and if you are still unable to find a confirmation email please click on Ticket Confirmation Not Received? and enter your details and “send”.
Select the appropriate assistance request below and in the email that opens up, enter details of your request and send email:
- Companion or Carer Request> (for the necessary companion, or carer, of a disabled person to be admitted free of charge)
- Alternative Payment Methods Request> (in addition to those available online)
- Further Information Request> (for all other requests)
Or contact Robert on the phone on 07803 937 939 or 0131 441 7052